Re: Home brew

On Friday 26 April 2002 09:08 am, - wrote:
> I'd appreciate some advice on home-building a computer that will have Linux
> and (cough) WindowsXP installed with an emphasis on Debian .
>
> I have just a vague idea of things that should be considered, --- case
> style, power supply, cooling, choice of CPU  , motherboard with a fast FSB,
> chipset, video and sound, voice modem,---probably just enough knowledge to
> be dangerous.
>
> I've read claims that integrated motherboards (video, sound, and modem)
> have worked well in Linux and also the contrary.  The same with CPU's, (AMD
> Athlon, Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron),  one chipset better than another in
> Linux etc........It gets to the point where it's enough to say "I'll stick
> with my old slowpoke 233 MHz box, at least it works in any Linux."   But,
> pioneering spirit says, "go for an upgrade" (or, is it just 'keep up with
> the Joneses'?)
>
> Is there a web site that offers up to date recommendations for putting
> together a decent, fast, computer for somewhere between $800 to $1000,
> (less is better) one that won't require tricky patches to accept any Linux.
>  The few websites I've found still deal in pre 2000 terms.
>
> Suggestions are welcome--general or specific.
> Alex

    Greetings Alex:

Have a look at http://tcwo.com.  I built this box from new parts from this
supplier and it was very reasonable.  The mainboard I ordered uses a VIA
chipset,  DDR ram, and an AMD Athlon 1800XP chip.  Runs circles around
Intel chips that cost 3 times more.  Right now, I see the AMD2000xp's for
$181.00.  That's a lot of juice!  The nice thing about the AMD chips is that
they don't require RAMBUS memory, and are still very competitive.

The mainboard I ordered was the Biostar M7VIB-A KT266A DDR SND.  At the time,
it was one of the few they had that supported the AMD-xp series chips well.
It does however have a sound chip (ac97) that you will probably end up
turning off in the bios so you can use a reliable sound card in lieu of.  I'm
sure some day I will find a way to get the ac97 running in linux along side
of my sb-pnp32.

Stick with the will supported video cards like the Nvidia (NV).

I think it should be possible to build yourself a fine box for $1000 that
will hold up for the coming years.

Good luck and happy drooling :)

tatah
--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.