Re: fetchmail daemon dies, won't restart

on Sat, Apr 27, 2002, Carlos Sousa (csousa@tvtel.pt) wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:28:12 -0700 "Karsten M. Self"
> <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >     3/15 *   * * *     root /etc/init.d/fetchmail start 1>/dev/null
>      ^^^
> > ...which should restart fetchmail every fifteen minutes.
>
> Should it? man 5 crontab says:
>        Step values can be used in conjunction with ranges.   Fol-
>        lowing  a  range with ``/<number>'' specifies skips of the
>        number's value through the range.  For example, ``0-23/2''
>        Steps  are also permitted after an asterisk, so if you want
>        to say ``every two hours'', just use ``*/2''.
>
> But you're using 3/15 in the minutes field. Could that be it? Perhaps
> 3-48/15 would work better...

I think you're right.  The list format I've replaced with it seems to be
working in the meantime.

> > Problem is, it doesn't.
> >
> > I've changed the inovcation to read:
> >
> >     3,18,33,48 *   * * *     root /etc/init.d/fetchmail start
> >     1>/dev/null
> >
> > Checking just now, the daemon's still running.
>
> Not sure I understand you here. Isn't that OK, that the daemon is
> running? Or did you really want to *restart*, not *start*, it?

Try this from the command line.

If fetchmail is running, you are told that it is.  If it isn't, you
start it.  A restart isn't appropriate because if the problem I'm
experiencing exists, there's no current process to restart.  Not that
this means it doesn't work, I haven't checked specifically.

Peace.