fetchmail daemon dies, won't restart

I'm running a daemonized fetchmail at work, ~1000 messages daily.

Periodically the daemon dies.  No good reason.  OK, I can deal with
that.  Create an /etc/cron.d/fetchmail file with the following:

    3/15 *   * * *     root /etc/init.d/fetchmail start 1>/dev/null

...which should restart fetchmail every fifteen minutes.

Problem is, it doesn't.

I've changed the inovcation to read:

    3,18,33,48 *   * * *     root /etc/init.d/fetchmail start 1>/dev/null

Checking just now, the daemon's still running.

This gets pretty old, really fast, given I live and die by email....

Ideas?  Thanks.

   We freed Dmitry!        Boycott Adobe!         Repeal the DMCA!
     http://www.freesklyarov.org