Re: OT: Linux on Walmart's systemless computers

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:30:44PM -0500, Hall Stevenson wrote:
| * dman (dman@dman.ddts.net) [020414 20:07]:
| > On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 06:18:56PM -0500, Brian P.D. Smyth wrote:
| > | (snip)

| > |
| > | Anyone have a reply to the original question?
| > |
| > | Has anyone successfully installed Debian on a Walmart OSless computer?
| >
| > I'd also like to know where such a package can be found. The nearest
| > Wal-Mart here only has a certain HP machine (w/ Intel Celeron)
|
| I believe these PCs available from www.walmart.com, i.e. online order
| only.

Ahh, there they are.

| I mean, most people who will go into a Wal-Mart to buy a PC aren't
| the type of person in the market for these computers, especially one
| that won't "work" when they get it home and turn it on.

I know what you mean.  That's why I don't usually look for computer
stuff in department stores.

| These are tailored for people who know how to install an O/S, don't
| want to pay for needless extras, and will buy over the 'net.

I like picking the machine off the shelf.  I also see that the hard
drives are crappy.  (5400 RPM IDE disk on an Athlon XP)  I think my
present system will beat them out (or at least compare) since my disk
is just as fast.  I'm looking to build a server anyhow, and the sound
and cd and modem are all superfluous.  QLi Tech and Computer
Renniassance have decent systems for around $700 (and tailored to
suit).  I kinda hope walmart does well in this venture, just to show
the industry that we don't want windows pre-installed.  Otherwise the
local shop is just as good, if not better.

Thanks,
-D

--

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
        --Jim Elliot