Re: FW: Kernel identification

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Hey, I do not know who invented L and R.  That is really problem in
> modern world.  They sound same to me :) Problem is that English is a
> lingua-franca of computer world and I do not speak/spell well.
> ("frustrated")

Your english is excellent, I've seen far funnier mistakes from native
speakers.

> Really, these 2 d--- characters cause poor non-native speaker of English
> to torture themselves.  Pick any Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc., and
> ask them to say "I love you".  It will sound "I rub you."  Well these
> days, oriental massage (Beep: R-rated) is popular in US, it may be the
> same thing after all...

I lived in France for several years and was forever making embarassing verbal
gaffes, often the pronunciation rather than the spelling is all it takes. For
example in french the word "pin" can mean either pine or penis depending on
how you pronounce it. Given that I'm a carpenter and the nature of
construction site humour, you can imagine the hilarity that caused until
someone set me straight. And the girlfriend found out the hard way (no pun
intended) that french plumbers don't "faire pipes" they "faire tuyaux".
Apparently "faire une pipe" means give a blowjob in french....

Anyhow, I guess we should get back to a more technical discussion.... not
that it's a particulary fashionable thing to do these day's on this list.

--
Simon Hepburn.