Re: Bad disk?

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 06:25:27AM +0800, csj wrote:
| On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:52:38 -0500
| dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
|
| > On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 02:19:15AM +0800, csj wrote:
| > | I'm having trouble with a new 60GB MAXTOR 4K060H3. The disk is
| > | temporarily installed as /dev/hdb so I can copy over some files from
| > | what hopefully will be my old disk. Can somebody interpret the error
| > | messages below? Is the disk bad or is the problem something else (cable,
| > | controller, etc)?
| >
| > Does your disk have enough power?  I had "problems" with a Maxtor disk
| > about a year ago (a 2-year old disk at the time) and the real problem
| > was the 110W power supply (Compaq =p) in conjunction with the 5 disks
| > in the box.
|
| 300w + 2 hd's and 2 cdroms + a Duron 800. That should be enough power.

That should be good.  I had 110W, 2 hd's, 1 cdrom, 1 zip disk, 1
floppy and a PII.  It worked for almost 2 years, then started having
problems.  It had no problems when I unplugged some of the unused
disks.

| > [snip nasty looking error messages]
| >
| > | Also, does anybody know of a Linux-based utility that can detect disk
| > | errors (say, bad blocks) in terms lucid enough for a Windows tech person
| > | to understand (say, a clone of Norton Disk Doctor)? In case my disk is
| > | really bad, I'll need diagnostic proof to assert my need for a
| > | merchandise replacement.
| >
| > Dig around on Maxtor's site.  They have a DOS program (run from a
| > floppy) to check the disk.  They require output from it to process
| > warranty claims.  (at least, their website says so)  Backup everything
| > you want to keep first.  When I tried it, I unplugged everything but
| > the maxtor disk and got a "factory certified error free" message, but
| > (knowingly) wiped all data from it in the process.  I never did
| > contact them because building a new machine with a real power supply
| > fixed the problem :-).
|
| My browser keeps crashing at the Maxtor website.

Fun.

| Do you have the download link for the program?

I didn't, but galeon (1.0.3) isn't crashing on it.  (I normally have
js disabled, btw)  The utility itself is

    http://maxtor.com/SoftwareDownload/main/pwrdiag.exe

The info about the support program and the RMA form and the link to
that util is at :

http://maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/customerservice/NoQuibble/index.html

HTH,
-D

--

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and