Re: where to install openoffice

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 04:24:52PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> i've always installed OpenOffice or StarOffice or whatever into
> /usr/local/apps/{open,s}office or /usr/local/lib/{open,s}office,
> depending on whether the day was even or odd -- as in, there was no
> pattern. now i am installing a couple of new systems and would like to
> do it right.
>
> it seems that these software packages should install into
> /opt/{open,s}office to keep the system in accordance with the FHS.
> however, there's something deep inside me speaking against /opt at the
> top of the filesystem hierarchy. i know it's a standard but i don't
> like it as i believe that these packages *should* really sit under
> /usr/local. but /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/apps are also wrong.
>
> debian does not control /opt and /opt is not part of debian, which is
> a good thing. despite openoffice not being part of debian, i would
> still like for it to be integrated into the system in a logical way.
> so where does it go? /usr/local/opt/{open,s}office?
> /usr/local/{open,s}office?
>
> please don't let this become a lengthy discussion, only post if you
> know the FHS inside out or you know the answer exactly. i don't want
> opinions (sorry if this sounds arrogant).

The way I understand it, /opt is the right way for packages that are
created by a third party, nd are precompiled binaries. For example, if
you purchase Netcool/OMNIbus from Micromuse, it installs into /opt.

/usr/local is for stuff created by the local admin: a newer version
of a utility provided by the OS (such as a new gcc compiled from
source), or third party stuff downloaded as source and compiled - this
is hard to imagine on a debian system as most everything seems to be
packaged already.

So, my rule of thumb is, if you have to compile it it goes in
/usr/local.  If it's all pre-built for you and has some pre-determined
directory structure, /opt is the place to put it.  If you're running
debian and are making a newer/improved version of a debian package,
you have to decide whether you want to go the /usr/local route or
actually create a .deb, install via dpkg, and place the package on
hold once installed.

I'm not sure if this helps since you seem to have an aversion to /opt,
but I don't think /opt is _quite_ as bad as you do :)  It sure can
get ugly though ...

Regards,

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship