Re: Stuck: "EXT2-fs warning: ..."

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:00:49 -0500
dman dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:45:15PM +0000, Soren Andersen wrote:
> | Hello,
> |
> | Its my first post to the list. TIA for the help.
> |
> | I am afraid my Debian installation is hosed, and I have no idea
> what
> | I've done. I have made SOME hardware changes to my multiboot
> | (WinNT/98/GNU-Linux) system. That's clue one. Symptoms of
> trouble
> | are that I get a kernel message at boot time saying "EXT2-fs
> | warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is
> | recommended."
>
> In the superblock of your ext2 filesystem is a counter.  Every
> time
> you mount the fs the counter is incremented.  When it reaches the
> maximum mount count (which is also stored in the superblock) you
> will
> get a message like that.  A debian should run e2fsck automatically
> during the boot process.  If you want to run it manually
> (recommended
> right now), then boot a rescue disk (so that you don't try
> mounting
> the fs) and run
>     e2fsck /dev/hda4
>
> HTH,
> -D

You can also, logged in as root, do:

# touch /forcefsck

The next time you boot your file systems will be checked.  It
doesn't fix the problem of the counter not working properly.  BTW
... I've had the same problem on a RH machine for about a year now.

--
Raquel
I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and