Re: alternative to tarballs

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 07:59:31AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> 2. Install packages in /usr/local using 'make install' and then use
>    equivs to let the packaging system know you've installed a package
>    manually.

If you're doing this, I highly recommend using GNU Stow (packaged for
debian, of course).  It installs a program into
/usr/local/stow/program-name/, then symlinks the files into the
/usr/local hierarchy.  Then when you decide to delete/upgrade the
software, it's all in a single place.

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.