Re: alternative to tarballs

"Aldous B Bernardo" <aldous@edsamail.com.ph> writes:

> Hi, Is there an alternative to using tarballs? Something like
> make-kpkg for the kernel. Im having some trobles installing some of
> my tarball since it doenst update the dpkg database. Im having some
> difficulties looking for some deb packages that I opt to use
> tarballs instead ( sometimes there are RPMs but.. no thanks :) ) I
> was very much impressed by the way make-kpkg compiled and made my
> custom kernel that I wanted to create packages the same way. Should
> I compile them to deb first? If so.. how?

You have a few options:

1. Hack up your own deb from the tarball.  It's not as hard as you
   might imagine.  See http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ for
   further information.

2. Install packages in /usr/local using 'make install' and then use
   equivs to let the packaging system know you've installed a package
   manually.

3. Use alien to convert rpm's, Slack's tgz's, etc., to debs.

Be sure to check Debian's testing and unstable archives first though
to save yourself some time.  Nearly everything out there already is
packaged for Debian; it just may not be in potato.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>