Re: Debian boot without X?

Mathias Vingaard wrote:
Hello.

I have just installed my debian. While I experiment with different configurations I would like to boot up without X. Is there a text file I can edit in order to disable automatic start up of X?

You can either:
1) remove/purge the offending login app (gdm, xdm, wdm, kdm) with a command similar to "dpkg --purge xdm"

or

2) to simply disable the culprit temporarily, add the line "exit 0" as the first executable line to the startup script (/etc/init.d/[g|x|w|k]dm). You may want to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to the first text-based virtual terminal (VT) first, and run the script to turn it off, before making the change. For example, if the app is gdm, you'd run "/etc/init.d/gdm stop". Then make the change, and on the next initlevel change or reboot, gdm won't start up.

(There are other ways to accomplish this goal as well, but these two should suffice for now.)

I have tried to look in /etc/inittab but nothing there seemed to have anything to do with X.

The POST finds the boot code and runs it; the boot code starts the kernel; the kernel looks for /etc/inittab; /etc/inittab runs all the scripts pointed to by the default run level in the file; the scripts are individual scripts that do stuff, like starting gdm or xdm or setting the computer's time/date from the network, etc. Just removing gdm (or xdm, etc) from this chain of events will accomplish your desired goal (see above).

Regarding configuration of X: My Logitech Marbleman is connected to the serial port via an PS2->serial adapter. What is wrong when I can use graphic login but I am unable to move the cursor in X?

Any number of issues. Does it work in a text-based console (Ctrl-Alt-F1, move the mouse, does it work?)? If so, that means that gpm (the console mouse driver) is running, and X is probably configured to read the same port that gpm is reading, so they are in conflict. To run both, gpm needs to be configured to repeat the raw data (run gpmconfig or edit /etc/gpm.conf), and X (edit /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4]) to read, not from /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/psaus or /dev/mouse, but rather from /dev/gpmdata. In this way, gpm will read the mouse data, move the cursor as needed, repeat the mouse data in a raw format to the /dev/gpmdata "device", where X can read the data and move the cursor as needed.

Thanks.
Mathias.