Debian boot without X?

Hello.

I have just installed my debian. While I experiment with different configurations I would like to boot up without X. Is there a text file I can edit in order to disable automatic start up of X?

I have tried to look in /etc/inittab but nothing there seemed to have anything to do with X.

Regarding configuration of X: My Logitech Marbleman is connected to the serial port via an PS2->serial adapter. What is wrong when I can use graphic login but I am unable to move the cursor in X?

Thanks.
Mathias.