Re: 802.11b

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Jason Majors wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting an 802.11b network, so I can carry my debian based
> notebook around the house without running cables everywhere.
> I'll be getting a PCMCIA network card, and a receiver that I can plug into
> my existing 10/100 switch.
> Any suggestions on brand/model? And what does or doesn't work with debian?

I've got a wireless setup at home, using the Lucent Orinico cards. I've an
older Debian-based desktop that is my router/firewall/NAT/wireless access
point. I have one laptop that connects to my router on the wireless
network. A couple of other desktops are on a private address wired LAN
from the router. It works very well. My main criteria in selecting the
wireless card was the quality of Linux drivers for the card. It seemed
that the Orinoco cards were supported pretty well and were fairly popular.