Re: VNC serving KDE

* Glenn Murray (gmurray@Mines.EDU) [020402 12:05]:
> I was able to get vncserver to work with KDE after some effort.  It's
> not hard once you understand it.  My troubles stemmed largely from not
> understanding the principal of Linux vnc, being somewhat misled by the
> Windoze version.  I thought it would export the existing desktop when
> what it appears to do is export a new one (hence "startkde" in the
> .xsession).  The Windoze version exports the existing desktop.

Right. The difference comes from windows only being a single-user
system. On a Linux system, there is no "the desktop" - each user can log
in separately and simultaneously on multiple consoles. Using vnc sets up
an X display on a network rather than on a traditional console. The
model is, IMO, very clean.

> Another difference is that the Windows version gives a nice gui
> control panel enabling you to disable client pointers and keyboards.
> However, it is difficult to have more than one client connect at a
> time.  I'm surprised there are so many differences.

The differences are inherent in the operating environments; the vnc
people have done a pretty good job adapting to those differences. As for
difficulty connecting more than one client, I don't recall that to be
the case. You just need to set up one server per client; it's the same
as users using any other X server on any other display: one per display.
Windows only has a concept of a single display, hence vnc's
multiplexing.

> Anyway, I'm using Xvnc version 3.3.3r2+tight1.2.1, which comes with
> woody testing as of this writing.  I installed all the vnc-related
> packages.  I made changes to the ff. files.
>
> /etc/vnc.conf
> This file was originally commented out, but needed no changes, except
> possibly to set $XFConfigPath to "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4".
>
> ~/.vnc/xstartup
> I changed the contents of this file to:
> #!/bin/sh
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc &
>
> ~/.xsession
> The contents of this file are now:
> startkde &
>
> I then ran "vncserver", which told that it was running on display
> ":1", and pointed a browser to "http://mytestmachine.mines.edu:5801";
> and it worked.  Note that I had to open a hole in my firewall for tcp
> on port 5801 for other machines to be clients.  Note also, the 1's in
> this paragraph would be 2's if I were running a second server.
>
> I am a newbie at all this, but thought this might help someone else
> get started.  I have not been able to get the -depth option to work.

Good; I'm glad it's working for you. Unfortunately, I haven't used it in
quite some time and can't offer any good help as to the -depth problem.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml