VNC serving KDE

I was able to get vncserver to work with KDE after some effort.  It's
not hard once you understand it.  My troubles stemmed largely from not
understanding the principal of Linux vnc, being somewhat misled by the
Windoze version.  I thought it would export the existing desktop when
what it appears to do is export a new one (hence "startkde" in the
.xsession).  The Windoze version exports the existing desktop.

Another difference is that the Windows version gives a nice gui
control panel enabling you to disable client pointers and keyboards.
However, it is difficult to have more than one client connect at a
time.  I'm surprised there are so many differences.

Anyway, I'm using Xvnc version 3.3.3r2+tight1.2.1, which comes with
woody testing as of this writing.  I installed all the vnc-related
packages.  I made changes to the ff. files.

/etc/vnc.conf
This file was originally commented out, but needed no changes, except
possibly to set $XFConfigPath to "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4".

~/.vnc/xstartup
I changed the contents of this file to:
#!/bin/sh
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc &

~/.xsession
The contents of this file are now:
startkde &

I then ran "vncserver", which told that it was running on display
":1", and pointed a browser to "http://mytestmachine.mines.edu:5801";
and it worked.  Note that I had to open a hole in my firewall for tcp
on port 5801 for other machines to be clients.  Note also, the 1's in
this paragraph would be 2's if I were running a second server.

I am a newbie at all this, but thought this might help someone else
get started.  I have not been able to get the -depth option to work.

Good luck,
Glenn Murray
http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray