Re: X window system

On Saturday 30 March 2002 17:17, Kent West wrote:
> john gennard wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> >[snip] ........get the error message:-
> >        'probable hardware bug:clock timer configuration
> >         lost - probably a VIA686a.
> >         restoring chip configuration'
>
> If you custom compile a kernel, you might find some bug
> work-arounds for various chipsets. This might solve this issue;
> might not.
>
> >2. If I then run 'startx', I'm told:-
> >        'server is already active for display 0
> >         [snip]
>
>  From your description at top of message, it sounds like X is
> running; it's just producing a blank screen. Therefore you can't
> start X on the same display. For kicks, you might try "startx --
> :1" to start X on the second display (Ctrl-Alt-F8 instead of
> Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to it if you switch away from it with
> Alt-Fx). Alternatively, you can kill X ("ps ax" and kill whatever
> X processes are running, or Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch back to the X
> display, followed by Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to ungracefully "force
> quit" X). You probably also have some sort of session manager
> running; you'll probably have to stop that also
> ("/etc/init.d/[x|d|w|k|g]dm stop"), or the "X logon screen" will
> just start up again. Then "startx 2>startx.log" will start X
> manually and log the error messages to the file "startx.log".

I don't understand the reference to 'F7' and 'F8'

> You might also try Ctrl-Alt-+ or Ctrl-Alt-- (the + and - keys on
> the keypad) while in the original X (Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to it)
> screen, to switch "resolutions", which might give you a usable
> screen
>
> My suspicion is that something about the video setup is wrong in
> XF86Config.

Kent,

Many thanks for your helpful response - it has taught me a couple of
things, but has not taken me any further forward with this problem.
I've just finished installing SuSE 7.3 on a partition on the same
hard drive on the problem box using exactly the same settings when
compiling XF86Config and the X system worked first time without any
difficulty. So I presume I can now exclude a hardware or video setup
problem/error.

I  am now wondering if my 2.2r4 CD's are faulty. The two other boxes
which run Potato started from 2.2.r0 CD's and were upgraded to r1,
r2, r3 and finally r4. Will start again and reinstall following that
route.

Again, thanks,

john.