Recommend hardware for driver tutorial?

I would like to learn more about writing Linux device drivers. I've read some of the kernel source, and read a couple books on the kernel, but I don't think I'll ever get very far unless I write an actual device driver. Just reading doesn't make it stick, I have to spend time debugging real code.

Can you recommend to me some inexpensive devices I can plug into my PC or Mac that I can use for tutorial purposes? What I would need is something that's not too fancy, and for which the hardware documentation is readily available, hopefully as a download from the vendor's website, or that someone could send me.

Note that there are drivers in the kernel for which the vendors were only willing to provide specs on the condition the developers didn't pass them on, so these people couldn't send them to me. I'd need something that is readily available.

It would probably be best if there were already a driver for the thing in the kernel that I could look at if I got stuck, but my plan is to write the drivers independently of the kernel and only compare my code with the kernel's when I think I have it working well.

I'm particularly interested in ethernet and scsi, but to start with any inexpensive device would do. I have a BusLogic SCSI host bus adapter that's not being used much anymore (just for a scanner) so if there were specs for that available that would be great.

In the end I'd like to practice writing a variety of drivers (character, block, and network) and then get ahold of something for which no driver is yet available and contribute a real driver to the kernel.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford