/dev/cdrom owners

Okay, so I have /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc set up (since a netinstall does
not set up /dev/cdrom at all, hmmm...is that a wishlist bug?).

What do you recommend for /dev/hdc permissions:

~$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Nov 30  2000 /dev/hdc

or

~$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Nov 30  2000 /dev/hdc

I figured my users (just me really in this case, but in general it
could be a larger user base) who are allowed to use the cdrom should
be in the 'cdrom' group, not 'disk'. But an older potato CDROM
installation leaves /dev/hdc in group disk, not cdrom, even though it
created the /dev/cdrom link.

Or is this whole groups thing broken anyway? Or is just me?

Cheers!
Shyamal