Re: why use sendmail?

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:00:04AM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
| * Simon Hepburn (sth@blueyonder.co.uk) [020401 00:20]:
| > dman wrote:
| >
| > > Will KMail automatically try at ever-increasing intervals for a given
| > > amount of time and then genarate a bounce that _will_ be delivered to
| > > the sender if the mesasge can't be delivered?  For the first point, if
|
| Well, these also aren't strict requirements of every MTA.

No, but the only alternative is to bounce the message.  Either the
message _must_ be delivered, or a bounce _must_ be delivered to the
sender.  If neither of those occurs, you've just broken the "reliable
delivery" property of SMTP.

| > > I'm not discrediting KMail in any way, I just don't believe that
| > > any MUA should try and handle SMTP.
| >
| > For the case of a standalone box without permanent connection I
| > have to disagree. Keep it simple.
|
| Keep it simple indeed.

Always.  Refactoring :-).

| Simple as in nullmailer or ssmtp. Both are examples that an MTA can
| be trivial,

No.  ssmtp is not a true MTA.  It doesn't guarantee reliable delivery.
It just implements enough of SMTP to make a smarthost accept a message
if all goes well.  If any errors occur it doesn't handle them
gracefully.  At least, its documentation says that.

| and the tried and true model of "do one thing and do it well" lives on.

Precisely :-).  This goes hand-in-hand with KISS.

| This kind of debate can go on and on (and often does on mutt-user
| when someone asks "why can't mutt deliver to my ISPs mail relay?")
| It's a design decision.  I think most people will agree that it's a
| cleaner design to keep it simple and have each program do one thing
| and do it well, especially when the tools to do the SMTP part
| already exist Freely =)

Right.

| My point is (with these seemingly somewhat conflicting statements) that
| practically speaking, it is possible, but from a philosophical point of
| view (i.e. if I had to design an MUA from scratch right now) SMTP
| probably doesn't have any place in an MUA. That's no reason to stop
| using your favorite MUA, though.

No, it's not a reason to stop using KMail (or whatever you are using).
IMO it is a reason to not use that part of the code in it.

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build