Re: why use sendmail?

dman wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:00:36PM +0100, Simon Hepburn wrote:
> | John Lord wrote:
> | > Hi folks,
> | >

> | > Just a simple question realy, why should I use sendmail in conjunction
> | > with KMail, rather than let KMail do the job?
> |
> | It depends on you situation
> |
> | If you are running a standalone box with dialup connection and you get
> | your mail through your ISP, I would just let KMail handle remote mail for
> | you. Put simply, it's a lot less hassle. Just configure exim to do local
> | mail delivery for the benefit of cron and friends. This will save you a
> | lot of time and confusion.
>
> FYI it is almost trivially easy to set exim up with "smarthost"
> delivery.  It becomes trivial when you are given the answers to the
> questions about relaying.  I posted step-by-step instructions on this
> list a few months ago.  If you want I can dig up the URL (I'm in
> console now and the bookmark is in galeon).
>
> -D

I'm sure that the person who started this thread would be interested in that
URL. However the fact that you had to post step by step instructions does
tend to undermine your argument that it is trivially easy. It might be to you
or me, but this list is littered with queries from new users struggling to
configure mta's. I can't recall ever having seen someone stuck trying to
configure kmail.....

--
Simon Hepburn.