Re: Crypto issues

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 00:42, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> I did it the Debian Way, which works very well.  :-)
>
> But, that *does* involve running make-kpkg, the Debian Way to compile
> kernel images.  Charlie, if you haven't tried this script, it's a
> really clean way to make kernels and kernel modules.  The output is a
> set of .debs for kernel-image and various modules (in this case
> cryptoloop and cryptoapi-core), which are then installed and removed
> via dpkg alongside you other kernel versions, including binary
> packages from Debian.  Modules *must* be compiled for the exact kernel
> you're running, so that's really the only reasonable way to package
> these things.  Also, cryptoloop-source contains a kernel patch, which
> make-kpkg will apply.
>
> It's really not as hard as it seems.  I'm sure we could talk you
> through it if you want to try.
>
> Basically, you need to install
>
>   kernel-package
>   kernel-source-2.4.<whatever>
>   cryptoapi-core-source
>   cryptoloop-source
>
> and follow the instructions.  Don't forget the PATCH_THE_KERNEL
> environment variable.  :-)

Thank you Jack, for clarifying this!
It is worth mentioning that the .config files to configure the
compilation of the kernel images included in the Debian distribution are
included in the corresponding 'kernel-headers' packages. Thus, if you
Charlie install the header files for your kernel image, move the .config
file to /usr/src/linux and compile the kernel, it will include the same
functions as the kernel-images distributed with debian and should work
the same way the images do.

You can search for single files in the debian distribution using
apt-file *hint*:
'apt-file -F search .config |less'

This is without any warranty since I started the new year kind of
drunk.. Happy new year to you guys! :)

hth
stefan