ntpd; local clock reference 127.127.1.0

I get the following in my logs [manually wrapped for legibility in email]

    Dec 31 15:44:27 seal ntpd[17700]: attempt to configure \
               invalid address 127.127.1.0

when I set the following in /etc/ntp.conf:

    server 127.127.1.0
    fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Why?

I'm running ntpd 4.1.0 on Debian 3.0R0 Official, on a sparcstation 20.

I have a dial-up system that is going to be a server for
my home network.  I want my inside machines to sync to seal
(the ss20) and seal to sync to outside machines when the link
is up, and to just provide time to the inside machines when the
link is down.

If I don't define a reference clock (127.127.1.0), then eventually
seal loses synchronisation with the outside clocks and slips to
stratum 16.  Then the inside ntpds refuse to sync with seal and
all the machines go off on their own.

I'd rather they all stick together with seal when disconnected.

>From everything I've read, putting the above server/fudge declaration
for 127.127.1.0 should just work, with no extra fiddling required
(no new /dev files or links, etc).  Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help you can send.

--
bjb at achilles dot net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org