Re: Samba setup question: security setting

Quoting Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org>:

> Is it possible (and is it recommended) to move to security = user on my
> home LAN when the Windows machines don't really have a password?  I guess
> what I'm asking is how best to setup Samba and the Windows machines I'm
> running.  And, more importantly, why I need to setup it up a given way.

Hi Bill,
99% of my samba networks use security = user. My samba server acts as a PDC and
I have all workstations login to the domain. I like this as you can setup login
scripts to execute apon login.
Check out:
http://ca.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html

Here's a small example that should work:

[global]
   printing = lprng
   security = user
   workgroup = foobar
   encrypt passwords = true
   domain master = yes
   netbios name = Samba
   domain logons = yes
   logon script = login.bat
   logon drive = h:    #(This line can pounded out if no XP machines)
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   preserve case = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   unix password sync = true
   passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *updated*
   min password length = 4

[eps440]
printable = yes
public = yes
path = /tmp

[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/share/netlogon
create mode = 0755
writeable = yes

[homes]
browseable = no
read only = no
create mode = 0755

Note: for XP on domain logins you'll need to add the XP machines to smbpasswd.
If you had an XP machine named xpname, you'll need to run:
# useradd XPNAME$
# smbpasswd -am XPNAME$

Then, you can join the xp machine to the domain. You may need a root smpasswd
entry for this.
There's also a XP registry hack out on the web that you may need.
You could probably hunt it down at google.

> Also, when I followed the instructions for setting up CUPS for printing
> trying to print from Windows to linux asked for a password.  Password for
> what user??
LPrng has always worked fine for me so far and so I don't know much about cups.
but I think this is a samba thing and nothing to do with cups.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Mike