Re: apt-get upgrade broken && ls broken && many others broken

Chris said:

> The fine folks on #debian at irc.openprojects.net suggested a problem
> between libc6 2.3.1-6 and a 2.2 kernel, though I've not yet found how  to
> fix it with apt-get broken.
>
> I do not believe that I am running sid.  I believe that it is the  testing
> release, though I am not certain how I can tell.

this problem has been reported at least twice on this list recently.
you can probably tell if your running sid by a couple methods:

- try cat /etc/debian_version though back when woody was testing I think
that file said (testing/unstable). Not sure about now I don't remember
- check /etc/apt/sources.list to see where your sources point to.
- compare your version of libc6 vs what is on packages.debian.org/libc6
that will show all current versions, if your running 2.3.x then it appears
you are running sid, or at least a partially installed sid.

last I remember there was a post on this that mentioned something with
libc6. the archives are a real pain to search though. google doesn't
seem to have it cached, and the debian search engine is very slow and
seems inaccurate..ahh finally some results:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200212/msg04193.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200212/msg04218.html

looks like downgrading libc6 was the answer for that thread.

nate