Re: apt-get upgrade broken && ls broken && many others broken

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 02:40:36PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> When I do an ls I get:
> ls: reading directory .: Function not implemented
[...]
> The fine folks on #debian at irc.openprojects.net suggested a problem
> between libc6 2.3.1-6 and a 2.2 kernel,

The fine folks on #debian are absolutely correct.

> though I've not yet found how to fix it with apt-get broken.

You'll need to get a fixed libc.so.6 onto the box somehow. If all else
fails, do something like this: boot from a rescue disk, mount your
normal root partition on /mnt, download libc6 at least 2.3.1-7, unpack
it into /mnt/tmp using 'ar' and 'tar', chroot /mnt/tmp, and
'LD_PRELOAD=/tmp/libc.so.6 dpkg -x wherever_libc6.deb_is /'. Then reboot
and clean up the damage from 'dpkg -x' by reinstalling libc6 and
friends.

If you can manage to boot temporarily to a 2.4 kernel, that would
probably be much easier.

> I do not believe that I am running sid.  I believe that it is the
> testing release, though I am not certain how I can tell.

I'm prepared to bet you have packages from unstable installed, perhaps
accidentally.