Apache-ssl .htaccess files

Howdy List,

I keep thinking this is a simple problem and ought to have a simple fix,
but all I'm succeeding at doing is pulling out my hair.

I'm trying to require logins to a certain directory on my webserver
using .htaccess files. I've got the following in the .htaccess file in
the directory needing to be password protected:

<Directory>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Conlaw login"
AuthUserFile /usr/lib/apache-ssl/passwd/passwdfile
Require valid-user
</Directory>

I also tried it w/o the <Directory> tags, but it didn't seem to affect
anything.

I also changed the line "AllowOverride None" to "AllowOverride All" in
/etc/apache-ssl/httpd.conf (Yes, the password requirement is on my ssl
server, and I am using the https url when trying to test it.) I even
tried copying the htaccess.debian file in
/usr/share/doc/apache-ssl/examples/ to .htaccess in one of the
directories in the apache-ssl Documentroot, but it didn't work either.

TIA,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/