Re: xmms conflics with esd?

Running woody and gnome here with esd. How can xmms, gnome, xine .. be configured to use sound from the kernel instead of esd? There seems to be three types of sound support: arts/esd/kernel is there a good overview of each of these and how to get gnome to use them? pros/cons?

motherboard = asus k7m with via chipset

Thanks