From: Ken Irving [mailto:ken@moffit.tridentsw] On Behalf Of Ken Irving
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 1:33 AM
To: Bill Moseley
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ntpdate from cron -- DON'T DO THAT!

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 04:14:32PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

> The other possibility, brought up by someone on this list, is that
that
> machine is used for burning CDs and that may cause the clock to get
slow.
> I have not check this, though.

I'll second that warning, as I saw just that behavior on a time-critical
system.  Yes, it's dumb to be running such processes on a workstation,
and I'm currently fixing that, but I'm satisfied that burning CDs can
drastically slow the clock.  The last time it happened I easily made the
connection between the CD burn operation and ntpdate's actions, but the
first time I had no idea, panicked, and replaced ntpd with ntpdate.
After
reading this thread I'll go back to ntpd.

--
Ken Irving <jkirving@mosquitonet.com>