Re: MotherBoards - Dual Athlon & PC2100 vs Single Athlon &PC2700/3200

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 04:26:21AM -0600, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Any thoughts on overall performance if the following systems?  The key
> factors are:
> 1. Support by Woody out of the box
> 2. Will the single processor systems be faster because the memory is
> slower on the duals?
> 3. Is onboard video better/faster due to better bandwidth?
>
> Dual Athlon 2400MP and PC2100 - 760MPX
> <MPX only supports PC2100>
> Motherboards considered
> 	ASUS A7M266-D
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's the one I have.
> 	Tyan Thunder K7X (S2468)
> 	MSI K7D Master (MS-6501-030)
> 	Gigabyte GA7DPXDW+
> 	Gigabyte GA7DPDW-C
>
> 		VS
>
> Single Athlon and PC2700 or PC3200 - KT400
> <No motherboards found w/ fast RAM and dual cpu>
> 	ASUS A7V8X LAN
> 	Soyo SY-KT400 DRAGON Ultra
> 	Soyo SY-KT400 DRAGON Ultra (Platinum Edition)
> 	Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra
>
> nForce2
> 	ASUS A7N8X - PC3200/2700

I had an Aopen AK77-8XN

Onboard Video could be fast, but make sure that it has separate
video RAM, and doesn't grab some of your mauin memory. That'll
impact performance more than the second CPU.

In theory I could desing an application that depends wholly on the
memory throughput. So having pc2100 would be slower than pc3200.
This would mean the duals would bite the dust.

I could also design an application that DOES NOT depend on the
memory bandwidth, but only on the raw CPU speed. This time the
dual athlons will win big.

What YOU will be doing with those machines will be somewhere in
the middle. My guess is that the multicpu machines will feel faster.

Oh! My KT400 board had an issue with the AGP port: I couldn't get it
to go fast. The result? I went back to a KT266 based board.

				Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
* The Worlds Ecosystem is a stable system. Stable systems may experience *