Re: Configuring a static IP on startup

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:43:04PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:38:20PM -0800, Curtis Spencer wrote:
>> I am using dhclient right now on startup to give me a DHCP ip address,
>> but I want to set the system to have a static IP on my sub net so I can
>> have the router forward everything on port 80 to the debian system.
>> What is a decent way to do this?
>
>/etc/network/interfaces
>
>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet static
>	address 192.168.0.4
>	gateway 192.168.0.1
>	netmask 255.255.255.0
>	network 192.168.0.0
>	broadcast 192.168.0.255
>
>Something like this.  See interfaces(5) for details.

personally, I don't like the debian networking scripts/files

I find this much easier to use one file...
http://galis.org/scripts/networking-local

edit to suite, put it in your /etc/init.d and use update-rc.d to populate
the runlevels, also remove 'networking' from the runlevels and /etc/rcS.d
(it requires the iproute package)

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org