Re: New Install (Video and DeMuDi apt-get problems)

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 08:07:32PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I cheated on my install (I've posted a few quesitons on it).  I booted Knoppix
> (for those that don't know, Knoppix is a CD-based, Debian-based distro) and
> used the install script to copy it over to my hard drive.  Now X works
> perfectly with my ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder.  For several reasons, I would
> prefer to be working with a strict Debian based system (it seems to effect
> menus, a few other UI type details).
>
> How can I tell what modules are being used by Knoppix to deal with my video
> card (I know I can do modprobe -l, but that lists all modules), and how can I
> tell of Gatos, or any other video drivers are installed?  In other words, how
> can I find out what Knoppix is doing to get X to work with my video card when
> Woody won't?

lsmod will list all loaded kernel modules, take a look at your
/etc/X11/XF86Config (or XF86Config-4) to see what is happening with X.

> Next question: I've added DeMuDi as a source for apt-get, as explained by the
> DeMuDi web page, by adding this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://http.demudi.org/debian woody local main contrib non-free
>
> DeMuDi lists Cinelerra as an available package (the site is unreachable right
> now, at least from my neck of the woods).  It might be listed as testing or
> unstable.  Is that why I can't get it, or is there some other reason?  Is
> there any way to find and read the list of packages from a particular source
> (I don't mean read it in my system's cache -- I mean read it from the site)?

There is no testing or unstable there, only woody. I temporarily added
that line to my sources.list and updated. No mention of a package called
cinelerra. I hope you don't use http.demudi.org as your only package
source, most of the packages are over a year old, many of which are
different versions in the current woody, as at the time, woody was
testing. Some of the packages there are many versions behind.
(example: libssl0.9.6 is version 0.9.6a-3 at demudi and the currently
listed woody version at packages.debian.org is 0.9.6c-2).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com