Re: probable newbie cannot get X to run (Was: no subject)

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 06:13:09PM -0800, Bear wrote:
[please keep this on-list and without top-posting]
> Yes I am new at Linux, but have allot experience with computers. Yes I
> had previously load all components to get x windows up and running
> several times. I ran the command you suggested and received the
> following error; 'debconf: package "xserver-xfree86" is not installed or
> does not use debconf' So I ran dselect again and received the original
> error I previously mention. I believe my video on my mother board is not
> compatible with x windows, I have SIS on board video with 4 megs of
> shared ram for video memory. I have load Red Hat 5.1 on the same box and
> was able to run x windows, but I was hoping to practice Linux with a
> newer version.

If you got X to run on an old version of Red Hat, it should be able to
run on Debian. SiS is compatible, but (after the xserver is installed)
you should read /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.SiS.gz.

As root, run the command "apt-get install xserver-xfree86". I know that
that package uses debconf, so I know that you do not have that xserver
installed. A package can be selected but not installed. When you ran
dselect, did you go to menu item 3, install after selecting the packages
you to install?

You might want to use aptitude instead of dselect; I find aptitude
easier to use. If you don't have it installed, just "apt-get install
aptitude" and after it installs, enter aptitude at the command line.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com