Re: probable newbie cannot get X to run (Was: no subject)

Before my reply, I have a message for Bear. Please configure Outlook to
send messages in plain text (not HTML) and add a meaningful subject
line. You are more likely to get a response from a real person that way.
Please also check the spelling in your messages, which can be important
when referring to file names (with file systems like ext2, even the case
of it can make a difference; XF86Config is a config file, xf86config is
a configurator, and XF86config does not exist).

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 04:11:46PM -0800, Bear wrote:
> I have tried to reconfigure to get x windows to run, plus tried reload
> of the entire system to get x windows to run, but x windows still does
> not work. I am getting the following error
>
> _x11 TransSockectUnix Connect Can't connect errno = 111
>
> unable to communicate with xsever

Is your xserver installed and running? What is the output of startx? Are
all the packages necessary for X to run installed? The packages that are
generally required/useful for a desktop machine are:

  0) xserver-xfree86
  1) xserver-common
  2) xfree86-common
  3) xfonts-base
  4) xfonts-scalable
  5) xfonts-75dpi or xfonts-100dpi
  6) xlibs
  7) xbase-clients
  8) xterm
  9) a window manager

> the/ect/x111/XF86 config file was not created
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-> should be /etc/X11/XF86Config

Run the command:

  # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

The '#' at the beginning of the command refers to the prompt. As it is
'#', run the command as root. If the prompt were '$', then the command
would be run as an ordinary user.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com