Re: changing processes to start at bootup

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Kent West wrote:

This is a "why is it this way?" comment:

> l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
>

> The "/etc/init.d/rc" script, fed the parameter "2", then runs all the
> Kill scripts (those starting with "K"). in alphanumeric order, that it
> finds in the "/etc/rc2.d
>  directory. When it finishes that, it runs the Start scripts (those
> starting with "S"), in alphanumeric order, that if finds in that directory.

That system seems odd.  It means that the stop links must list everything
that might be running, right?  So when you are changing run levels the
stop links must list everything that could have been started from any
(thus every) other run level.

Seems like a simpler system is to run all the stop scripts from the run
level you are leaving and run the start script in the new run level.  Thus
for every run level directory you have matching start and stop scripts.

I suppose that the disadvantage is that you end up stopping something that
will just get started again in the next run level.  Still, it seems easier
to stop things you know are running that just trying to stop everything
that might be runnning.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org