Remote printing to CUPS

Hi all,

I'm stuck

I want to print from a laptop to a printer connected to my desktop
using cups.

Printing from the desktop works fine.

printing from the laptop under windows works fine.

Printing from the laptop under linux with a command like this works:

lp -d printer_name@desktop_name <file>

But this is not ideal, since the dekstop, which is considerably slower
than the laptop does the rasterising from postscript to PCL (its an hp
laserjet 6l).

It would be much nicer to setup a raw printer on the desktop and setup
a local printer on the laptop to print to this using the appropriate
driver, but this doesn't work :(

When I try to print a test page or anything else, the laptop
error_log file says this (minus time data):

I Job 5 queued on 'lj6l' by 'dcpurton'.
I Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 2967) for job 5.
I Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic (PID 2968) for job 5.
I Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp (PID 2969) for job 5.
E PID 2968 stopped with status 32!
E Print file was not accepted (client-error-bad-request)!
E PID 2969 stopped with status 1!

The error_log on the desktop says this:

print_job: No file!?!

What is wrong?

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3