Re: Eterm title magic?

Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> The weird thing is that in zsh, I can't get the $TERM conditionals to
> have any effect.  precmd() always ends up printing the escape sequence,
> even if I'm at the console.  This results in an annoying beep.  If I log
> in on the console, I end up manually running 'precmd(){}' to redefine
> precmd to be an empty function.

I have no trouble with it on different sorts of terminals. Here's my zsh
prompt setup.

# Prompt {{{1

# The extraprompt thing can be set when I have chroots and I want to keep
# track of which I am in.
if [ ! -e /etc/zsh.extraprompt ]; then
	baseprompt="%n@%m:%~"
else
	baseprompt="%n@%m(`cat /etc/zsh.extraprompt`):%~"
fi

# The prompt shows up in xterm titles too.
case $TERM in
   xterm|color_xterm)
   	# Beware: next line has embedded raw control characters..
	PROMPT="%{]0;$baseprompt%}$baseprompt>"

	# Before each command is run, throw the command line up into the
	# titlebar! (The only problem is that very quick commands flicker..)
	preexec () {
		print -nP '\033]0;%n@%m: ';
		# Truncate at 60 chars, escape %, escape invisibles
		print -nPR "%60>...>${(V)1//\%/%%}";
		print -n '\007';
	}
  ;;
  screen*)
  	# Screen has a 20 character limit on title length.
	PROMPT="%{k%n@%m\\%}$baseprompt>"
	preexec () {
		print -nP '\033k%n@%m: ';
		# Truncate at 60 chars, escape %, escape invisibles
		print -nPR "%60>...>${(V)1//\%/%%}";
		print -n '\033\\';
	}

  ;;
  *) PROMPT="$baseprompt>"
  ;;
esac
unset baseprompt
# embolden root prompt
[[ UID -eq 0 ]] && PROMPT=${PROMPT/\}%n/\}%U%n%u}