Re: computer hypothermia -- help!

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:24:49 -0600
Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> due to circumstances beyond my control, my computer has spend much of
> the past four days in the trunk of various cars schlepping 1000 miles
> across the frozen Midwest.  i've done this lots of times before, but
> usually the trip takes half as long, and is much colder.
> i have a couple questions, one of which is rather open-ended.  what do
> you think could have caused this?  was it the cold?  do hard drives
> poo from being frozen?
> does this one appear to be legitimately dying?  do i need to look into
> getting a new one now as opposed to the 6 months or more i was going
> to wait?

> </nori>

Is this a desktop or laptop system? If it's a desktop box that's been
carried around I would suggest you get a clean shutdown then open the
box and remove everything that plugs in (cards, memory, maybe even cpu)
then put it all back in. Thermal expansion/contraction has most likely
caused a few bad connections.

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)