Re: computer hypothermia -- help!

on Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:41:21AM -0600, Gerald Livingston insinuated:
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:24:49 -0600
> Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
>
> > due to circumstances beyond my control, my computer has spend much
> > of the past four days in the trunk of various cars schlepping 1000
> > miles across the frozen Midwest.  i've done this lots of times
> > before, but usually the trip takes half as long, and is much
> > colder.
> >
> > i have a couple questions, one of which is rather open-ended.
> > what do you think could have caused this?  was it the cold?  do
> > hard drives poo from being frozen?
> >
> > does this one appear to be legitimately dying?  do i need to look
> > into getting a new one now as opposed to the 6 months or more i
> > was going to wait?
>
> > </nori>
>
> Is this a desktop or laptop system? If it's a desktop box that's
> been carried around I would suggest you get a clean shutdown then
> open the box and remove everything that plugs in (cards, memory,
> maybe even cpu) then put it all back in. Thermal
> expansion/contraction has most likely caused a few bad connections.

thanks for the suggestion.  after a bunch of hard-drive swapping with
another functional computer, i'm pretty sure it's the hard drive just
gone beserk.  :(  oh well ... thanks for your help!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/