Re: Survey: Should MySQL be chroot'ed?

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 03:35:22PM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm currently preparing the 4.x version of mysql (see /experimental/)
> and thinking about chrooting the daemon in /var/lib/mysql.
>
> This would be more secure although it would be a bit of work for me and
> limit the LOAD DATA INFILE and SELECT INTO OUTFILE commands to this
> directories.
>
> Now I'm wondering how many people are using the above commands and if
> they would accept chaning their programs to use new directories, given
> that they install a new major release of mysql anyway (it will not be
> done in the 3.23 version)

I imagine you'll get a lot of complaints about this if you make it the
default (and maybe even only) option.  Perhaps it would be better to
either ask a debconf question, or use the method Martin F. Krafft used
for bind9: create a separate bind9-chroot package that converts an
existing bind9 install to a chroot one?

-rob