Re: Speaking of ntp, yes CD-R does mess with the clock!

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Rob Weir wrote:

> I'd say this is the sort of thing people mean when people say 'IDE
> sucks!'; the CPU has to babysit the burner through the entire process...

It's hard for me to believe that can be the only problem.  The clock falls
behind almost a minute during a 4 minute burn session.  Yet, during the
burn I can still run other applications and the machine seems to respond
normally.  The machine is a PIII450 with a 48x CD-R drive.  The machien is
not a screamer, but plenty fast.

Although I don't use them much, I have two other machines with ide-scsi
CD-Rs (16x burn speed) that do not get behind at all.

I suspect that there must be another issue, otherwise a lot more people
would be asking about this.  I just need to sit down with the machine and
burn a bunch of coasters and watch what happens.

There was a power failure where that machine is yesterday -- about an hour
or so without power.  I just checked and right now the system clock and
hwclock is *ahead* of real time by about 45 seconds.  Clearly ntpd is not
working.

ntp's problem is it give up too easily.  This is a pppoe connection.
/etc/rc2.d/S14ppp brings up the connection, and ntp starts with the S23
script.  syslog shows output from pppd before ntpd starts, but also right
*after* ntpd fails to connect.  So ntpd is starting too soon.  But it's
bad that ntp doesn't every try again after that first failure.

I just don't think it unreasonable that there could be periods of time
when ntp can't connect to the remote hosts -- and that should not stop
ntp.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org