compiling a new kernel

Hello debian users,

I'm currently using the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel and I would like to use a new kernel so that I can have access to my ms sidewinder joystick. Since I'm new to kernel compiling, I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on this. For example, I don't even know what new kernel to choose. The current kernel that I have on my system was chosen for it's ability with USB devices. I noticed the other flavors didn't have such a good choice when loading the device modules during installation.
Anyhow, any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

bp