Re: printing files with relevant mailcap entries

This came to me, but I think he meant it to go the mailing list

----- Forwarded message from Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> -----

From: Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net>
To: Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:15:10 -0500
Subject: Re: printing files with relevant mailcap entries

Stephen Gran(steve@lobefin.net) is reported to have said:
> This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> > hello all
> >
> > the question probably exposes my complete ignorance of printing system!
> >
> > if i do lpr somename.pdf, will it print properly? or do i have to open
> > the file in pdf reader and then fire a print command?
> >
> > similarly, for other file types that have a mailcap entry.
> >
> > for instance, lpr somename.doc, etc.
>
> Actually, I think, (somebody jump in here if I'm wrong) it's not the
> mailcap entry, but the ppd used for the printer.  pdf should work fine,
> because it usually has an entry in most ppd's, but docs probably not.
> Figure out which ppd you use, and take a look at the file - they're
> usually commented enough that you can figure out what file types are
> supported without interpreters.

Stephens post is correct for a Cups printing system but will not work
,as such, for a non-cups installation.  In the no-cups print setup the
a2ps program will print pdf files if Acrobat is installed.

Sandip, as with many of your queries, once again I have to say that
you should be able to find the answer(s) to your question(s) on your
Debian system.  In this case in the Printing Howto which is part of
the doc-linux-[text|html] package covers what you can do.  You will
find that if you look around on your system, you will learn much more
than having someone else tell you what they do.  Even a Google search
would be a safe bet.

Sorry if I sound insensitive but that eric lin guy has been so busy
with OT questions I am still boiling.

--
"Has anyone had problems with the computer accounts?"
"Yes, I don't have one."

----- End forwarded message -----

|  Stephen Gran                  | We are using Linux daily to UP our      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | productivity - so UP yours! (Adapted    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | from Pat Paulsen by Joe Sloan)          |