Re: ntpdate from cron -- DON'T DO THAT!

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 08:09:41AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Chris Niekel writes:
> > The NTP-docs mention that you should not use only one server, but more.
>
> Is reliable time service of critical importance to you?  Most systems can
> go for days without contacting a timeserver and suffer no harm.

Indeed. But the point was that a server gone bad could make your time
way off. With multiple servers, if one server gives the wrong time, this
is detected, and the server is unused for a while.

For the reliability of _access_ to the server, it won't help much,
because all servers are on the other end of this meager adsl-line.

But indeed, time is of no critical importance to me, so maybe I should
just remove a few of the servers.

Greetings,
    Chris Niekel

--
    I've been down so long, if I'd cheer up, I'd still be depressed.
            - Lisa Simpson, Moanin' Lisa Blues.