problems with gnome-terminal: meta-keys and bell

Hello,

I have some problems with gnome-terminal (and others too for that
matter).

First of all there's the key configuration. I like to use BitchX in a
terminal window but if I have hidden screens enabled there I need to be
able to switch between them using <alt>+1 through 10. This does not
work, and I'd like to know if I can configure the terminal to enable it
somehow (alt+shift+1 does work, so it's not critical but still).

Second of all, I don't have bell sounds in my terminal. I tried
set-bell-style audible and other stuff like that. Only thing I can think
of is that it's not in the terminfo. So how do I recompile a terminfo
entry and where do I get the source for it?

tia,
Wim