Re: text mode pdf and msword reader?

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:03:38AM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> > are there any utilities that will let me read pdf files and word
> > documents in console?
>
> antiword does great for word docs, and there's pstotext and ps2ascii
> (and ps2this and ps2that . . .), but they all seem to do a kind of
> spotty job here.  Some files aren't properly displayed, and some aren't
> formatted right, and so on.  If you find one that works really well for
> you, write back.

well, i  was impressed with antiword. real great job. goes as close to
the original word document as possible. routine documents such as
resumes are handled really well.

all pdf readers leave a lot to be desired. is it not surprising that
while we have readers for a proprietary format like msword, there is
nothing as good for 'portable' document format? :)

--
regards,

sandip p deshmukh

		-- Aldous Huxley