Re: How to deal with package broken dependencies

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 09:45:32AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I had also install Aspell 0.50.3 from source -- I have some code that
> depends on the New Aspell.

[snip]

> That on is probably my fault due to installing the New Aspell from source,
> but I'm not sure.

apt-get install equivs and generate a fake package that Provide:'s the
aspell stuff you've installed.

> Is this just a fact of life when using packages that may have conflicting
> dependencies?
>
> Can the package system tell me more about these packages, like when they
> were installed (or removed) and what caused that to happen?

Neither apt nor dpkg actually logs what it does, unfortunately.
aptitude does, which is one of the reasons I use it for all my package
management needs.

-rob