ntpd / ntpdate on a dialup line

Greetings:

With all the traffic on ntp stuff recently, I thought this would be a
good time to ask:

Is there a better solution than ntpdate on a dialup machine?
Currently, I run it from an ip-up.d script. I was looking to see if
ntpd could run continuously but only make external connections when it
"knows" that the link is up, where "knows" is somehow provided to it
externally. There doesn't seem to be such a capability.

No big deal, though; at least the ip-up.d script will usually not add
to the thunderclap effect.

-- Mark