Re: can't mount or su

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:13:18PM -0500, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 11:36:58AM +0100, Matthias Hentges wrote:

> > > Man, that's a cool program!  I ought to run that more often. :)

Oh yeah.  There's also 'ltrace' which lets you trace functions calls
through your libraries as well.

> > Strace is nice to check if some lib is missing or some file is lost
> > (or if some device can not be opened etc).
>
> Oh.  See, looking at it from a programming/hacking point of view, it
> struck me as being a really good tool to analyze programs and the
> OS. :)

Definitely.  It's just another reason that Unix-style OS's are far, far,
far better tools than Windows (and any other OS I can think of) to learn
about programming/design/kernels/etc...

Also, you should have man pages for all the functions installed too.  If
you want to know what execve does, for instance, just 'man execve' to
find out exactly what it does.  If you need more context, Google is your
bestest buddy in the whole wide world.  Especially look for university
course notes, since they seem to have the best (and least
vendor-specific) documentation.

> > > Alright, now for the questions-- 1, is the diff any good, do you
> > > think?  I'm not finding any significant differences between the
> > > files.  2, I'm kind of reluctant to post the files; granted, I can
> > > chop out the passwords (that's the obvious one), but is there anything
> > > else I should edit out of the files before posting them?
> >
> > Dunno :) Change your root pass to "yaddayadda" before strace'ing.
>
> Ok.  I just edited the file.  Hopefully there's nothing that gives too
> much information about the system...
>
> No offense, it's not that I don't trust you or anyone else *in
> particular*, I just don't entirely trust everybody in general.

It's just common sense.  Putting your root password on the
lists.debian.org archives is asking for trouble :)

-rob