Re: boo lexmark (was: Which USB portable memory?)

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 11:52:58AM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * p (pplaw@pcisys.net) [021220 11:45]:
> > hi,
> >
> > for my sd/mmc (secure digital/multimedia
> > card), sandisk works flawlessly, mounted
> > as /dev/sda1.
> >
> > a lexmark card reader is frigid towards my
> > linux box.  ergo, ...can't recommend lexmark.
>
> lexmark also makes printers that won't work without windows, which is
> why we wouldn't want our wages in their wallets.
>
> good times,
> Vineet

But so most of the others, and if we avoided all manufacturers who make
winprinters, the choice would be pretty meager.  One does need to check
the specs before buying (the lower-end stuff is most suspect).  Lexmark
also makes printers with built-in PostScript, which is, in general,
better supported in Linux than Windows.  I'm quite pleased with my
<$300 Optra E312, which understands both PS and PCL.

Bob