Re: need Ph.D. for sound even with common hardware?

> I suppose it is too much to ask for a simple way a simple user can use
> sound on Linux version 2.4.18-k7 with VIA VT8233 AC97 Audio
> Controller.  I looked at many a Debian Sound HowTo already.
> http://jidanni.org/comp/system.txt is what I've got.

I never used a out-of-the-box kernel, so I don't know, if there is one
with your modules already in it. Here is the way I go:

When making your kernel, look under "Sound --> VIA 82C686 Audio Codec".
This doesn't involve alsa, so it is much less work to configure. However,
if you want to play sound from more than one program at the same time,
you'll have to use a sound-daemon like arts or esd.

Johannes Zarl

--
"More than machinery we need humanity" -- Charlie Chaplin, The Great Dictator